The Lord is my strength and my shield;

My heart trusted in Him, and I am helped;

Therefore my heart greatly rejoices,

And with my song I will praise Him.

Psalm 28:7 NKJV

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A Teacher Appreciation Craft

Last week was teacher appreciation week and my daughters and I got crafty.  In typical blogger fashion I took pictures as we went along and I have them here to share with you.  Now I know that teacher appreciation week is over but the end of the school year is quickly approaching and this would be a perfect end of year gift as well.

One of my favorite things about this craft is that it is inexpensive.  And it's cheap.  And it's really cute.  Well, I suppose that there are a lot of other things that I like about it- including the fact that we got to work together as mother and daughters to make it.

STEP ONE- Go shopping.  I went to the dollar store and bought a glass vase with smooth sides (well I bought two because we were making two) and I bought six packages on pencils.

What you see here is $8 whopping dollars at my local dollar store and since I'm a crafty nut I already have Mod Podge on hand.  We are ready to craft!!

The beginning is the hardest- I used a foam brush ($0.15 at a craft store) to paint some Mod Podge onto the vase.  And then you have to start lining the pencils on it.  I put them eraser side down and used a hair tie to hold them in place.


The more pencils I put in place the easier and quicker it went.  Once I had them covered in pencils I let them set overnight.


The next day my girls took the scissors and went outside to cut flowers and long grasses and other greens that looked pretty to them (after all it was for their teachers.)  They each made a little card for their teacher, punched a hole in it and we used a pretty ribbon to tie it to the vase.


This is the one my 9 year old made for her teacher.


And the one my 11 year old made for hers.


On each of the cards the kids wrote a little word play on the number 2 pencil.  For example- "Number two pencil, number one teacher."

I bumped into my 9 year old's teacher in the office the other day and she was raving about the vase!  She said that she has gotten several compliments on it and that it is a big hit!  I was so glad to hear that!

With the end of the school year approaching you will most certainly be in need of a nice 'thank you' for those  with whom you entrust your most precious goods.  This could be a perfect project!!

No comments:

Post a Comment